Hosting the AALS Alternative Dispute Resolution Section 2019 Works-in-Progress Conference
The AALS Alternative Dispute Resolution Section is seeking a host for the 13th Annual Works-in-Progress Conference to take place in the fall of 2019. The WIP Conference has become one of the “must attends” in the ADR academic field. Previous hosts include Marquette (2007 and 2016), Arizona State (2008 and 2017), Harvard (2009), Oregon (2010), Creighton (2011), Ohio State (2012), Cardozo (2013), Southwestern (2014), Texas A&M (2015), and Maryland (2018).
The host institution is responsible for organizing all of the logistics for the conference, such as picking dates, lining up hotels, and scheduling receptions and presentations.
Additionally, the conference host is responsible for choosing the papers to be presented.
The Section’s Executive Committee will consider several criteria in selecting the next host institution, including:
mechanisms to enhance the rigorous yet
collegial atmosphere of the program;
factors to be considered include:
- Schedule and structure (number of days, length of presentations, one track or multiple tracks, etc.)
- Methods for ensuring that presenters receive quality feedback
- Planned outreach to attract junior faculty
- Planned or demonstrated outreach to attract law faculty from regional law schools
- Demonstrated engagement with the ADR academic community
- Indications of institutional support for the conference (e.g., funds for meals, sufficient staffing)
- Demonstrated experience with hosting similar events
- Proximity to a major airport and reasonably-priced hotels
- Any special circumstances that support an institution’s application
Proposals should be sent electronically to Professor Peter Reilly, 2019 Chair of the AALS ADR Section, Preilly@tamu.edu, by March 15, 2019. In the transmittal e-mail subject matter line, please put “AALS ADR Section WIP Conference Proposal.” If you have any questions, please contact Peter Reilly at the e-mail address listed above or at (817) 212-4054. We look forward to hearing from you!